Dr. Chipty Was Featured in the March 2018 Spotlight Series
Matrix’s Dr. Tasneem Chipty was featured in an interview-style format by the Antitrust Practice Group of the American Health Lawyer’s Association, in its March 2018 Spotlight Series. Among other subjects, Dr. Chipty was asked about key issues in health care antitrust analyses, lessons from prominent health care cases, why she started Matrix, and career advice for younger practitioners. Some of the issues she discussed include:
- Current position of antitrust analysis in health care and its future.
- Distinctions in analytical framework between hospital merger evaluations and hospital-physician group merger evaluations, from her involvement in St. Luke’s and Saltzer Medical Center merger.
- Efficiency justifications in merger cases and expected success of such arguments for future mergers.
- Applicability of Dr. Chipty’s article on the role of firm size in bilateral negotiations to consolidation in the health care industry.
- Views on cross market effects in mergers involving health care systems that operate in separate geographic or product markets.
Dr. Chipty’s interview is published in the March 29, 2018 issue of the AHLA Antitrust Practice Group’s PG Briefing.