Dr. Hiu Man Chan
Dr. Chan has almost twenty years of economic consulting experience specializing in antitrust and competition analyses. She has applied her training in industrial organization and econometrics to evaluate the competitive effects of mergers and acquisitions, firm conduct, and government policies. Dr. Chan has consulted on litigation matters involving monopolization and monopsonization, bundling and tying, market allocation, price fixing, predatory pricing, and price discrimination. She has also consulted on matters involving the use of survey methodologies such as conjoint analysis. Dr. Chan’s work has covered a broad range of products and industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, insurance, tobacco, smartphones and tablets, media and entertainment, airlines, payment cards, computer software, information services, consumer products, and natural resources. Prior to joining Matrix Economics, Dr. Chan was a Vice President at Analysis Group, and before that she was a Principal at Charles River Associates.
- Challenges against the Government of Australia’s Tobacco Plain Packaging legislation at the World Trade Organization, analysis of the post-implementation effects of the legislation, on behalf of Australia.
- U.S. v. American Express, analysis of the competitive effects of the merchant restraints imposed by American Express, on behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Oracle v. Google, independent assessment of the reliability of the conjoint analysis put forward by Oracle’s experts to assess the value of the allegedly infringed patents and copyrights, on behalf of the court.
- Federal Trade Commission’s challenge of the consummated merger between Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Highland Park Hospital, analysis of the competitive effects of the merger, on behalf of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare.
- Ortho Biotech v. Amgen, analysis of the competitive effects of Amgen’s tying and monopolization conduct, on behalf of Orth Biotech.
- “A Landmark Judgment in China’s Anti-Monopoly Law: Qihoo v. Tencent.”With H. Li. CRA Insights: China Highlights, April 2013.
- “Price Discrimination in the Steel Market.” With G. Hall and J. Rust, December 2003.
- Empirical Essays on Bargaining and Price Discrimination: A Case Study of a Steel Intermediary. Yale University, 2002.
- “How Large is the Bias in Self-Reported Disability?” With H. Benitez-Silva, M. Buchinsky, S. Cheidvasser, and J. Rust. Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 19, No. 6, 2004, pp. 649-670.
- “An Empirical Analysis of the Social Security Disability Application, Appeal, and Award Process.” With H. Benitez-Silva, M. Buchinsky, J. Rust, and S. Sheidvasser. Labour Economics, Vol. 6, No. 2, June 1999, pp. 147-178.